“Over all, I want you to discover the joy of creation by your own hand… The possibility of creation from paper is infinite.” – Akira Yoshikawa
Origami encourages creativity, builds focus, and is a great hobby to start at any age.
I’ve been folding for over 25 years. I loved animals as a kid, and was excited to discover I could make my own animals out of paper. It was a great way to pass the time in transit and on family trips (and still is). I’ve been a professional origami artist and teacher since 2014, working independently and with Taro’s Origami Studio.
LEARN ORIGAMI FROM HOME
All of my origami offerings are available in-person and online.
Over the past year, Origami has proven to be an ideal remote activity. All you need is paper. I’ve taught private lessons and conducted workshops as corporate team building events over Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, and so on. If you scroll down, you’ll see testimonials from corporate workshops I’ve led this year.
Learn the basic folds, bases, diagram symbols, and models to start you down a lifelong journey mastering the art of paper folding.
- Private Lessons – One-on-one lessons catered to the student’s interests and skill level.
- Group Lessons – Round up a few friends and learn to fold together. Group lesson rates vary based on the size of the group.
- Eight Session Crash Course – In eight 75-90 minute sessions, you’ll learn the fundamental folds, bases, and numerous models to start you on the path to becoming an origami master. Each session focuses on a particular base, teaching the principles of origami through 3-4 models derived from that bases.
A crash course in the art of paper folding, origami workshops work beautifully as Corporate Team Building Sessions, Special Events, or Party Activities.
- Standard Origami Workshop – In a 30, 60, or 90 minute workshop, you’ll learn about the basic history of origami, some of the common folds, bases, principles, and approaches to folding origami, and immediately apply them to make 3-4 models.
- Scrap Paper Origami Workshop – Does your office have too much scrap paper? We’ll cut that paper into squares and fold animals, planes, flowers, and so on. Origami can be a refreshing break in the workday, and it’s a perfect corporate team building activity.
- Themed Origami Workshop – Same as the Standard Workshop, but the models are picked around a theme. Possible themes include (but are not limited to):
- Origami History – Learning more about the history of Origami while folding traditional and contemporary models that demonstrate how the art form has developed and evolved over time, including traditional Japanese models, traditional Western models, and contemporary models.
- Origami Aviary – Birds.
- Origami Garden – Flowers, Bugs, Butterflies, etc.
- Modular Origami – Modular Origami involves folding the same unit over and over again, then combining the units to make shapes and structures. Have each person fold all the units to make their own model, or work together to fold units to make one big model.
*We can work together on a theme that fits your occasion.
Folding specific models, made to order for various needs, including Media Use, Corporate Events, and Celebratory Events.
LIVE ORIGAMI FOLDING
Folding origami models in person for you and your guests. Great for Corporate and Celebratory Events.
“Your presentation and delivery were flawless. Timing check, direction check, camera check, relaxing music check – it was a perfect therapeutic exercise!” – Netflix Consumer Products Department
“If you’re looking for the perfect remote team building event, look no further. My company hosted Jeff on Zoom today (we had 10 folks join) and the feedback from my team has been overwhelmingly positive! Jeff is a great teacher and extremely easy to follow; by the end of our 1 hour class each person had 5(!) different designs done! It was relaxing and fun, and a great change of pace from the typical remote events that we’ve tried in the past. I can recommend him without hesitation. Thanks Jeff!” – Uppercut
“Jeff Raab coalesced all ages for a wonderful origami class at The National Bonsai & Penjing Museum this winter. Jeff delved into the history of the origami craft and led an easy-to-follow instructional portion, during which about 30 attendants – from young children to adults – learned how to construct snakes, boats and cranes. His charm and amiable personality fostered a warm and inclusive environment for both experienced folders and those new to origami. We look forward to having Jeff back at our Museum!” – National Bonsai Museum (Blog Article from National Bonsai Museum Workshop)
“That was excellent! Thank you so much. I can’t believe how quickly the hour passed. The blend of history with crafting was perfect.” – UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
“Jeff was such an amazing teacher. He came to our home and even brought the special paper with him. Our son who is 7 and his friends (8-9yrs) thoroughly enjoyed learning how to fold origami and it was a creative fun way to spend the afternoon. We hope to do it again soon.” – Eryn (Queens, NY)
Some of my Original Designs:
Some Favorite Designs by Other Artists:
Shots of me in action as origami teacher and artist: